[mythtv-users] The state of ATSC closed captioning

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 17 21:08:26 UTC 2009

On 03/17/2009 01:55 PM, Phil Bridges wrote:
> 2009/3/17 Marco Nelissen marco.nelissen:

>>> During playback, are you selecting the ATSC captions, or the VBI captions?
>>>
>> Unless I'm missing something, ATSC captions are the only ones available
>> (i.e. the menu only shows 'Select ATSC CC', and the only options in the
>> submenu for that are 'Toggle On/Off' and 'ATSC CC 1: English')
>>
> Interesting - all the ATSC programs I've watched have options for both
> ATSC and VBI - at the resolutions I run, the VBI option is on the next
> "page".

Currently, FCC rules state that both EIA-608 (VBI captions) and EIA-708
(ATSC captions) must be sent on ATSC transmissions for all nonexempt
captioned programming.  I'm pretty certain this also applies to cable
rebroadcasters, too, but only for unencrypted content.  However, some
equipment may (unintentionally, even) "strip out" or corrupt VBI CC (so
to speak).

Mike