[mythtv-users] one single channel stops working (DVB-C, both LiveTV and recordings)

Joachim joge at upb.de
Tue Mar 17 18:13:12 UTC 2009

Hello,

crawling online resources I couldn't find a solution for my problem, not
even anyone else experiencing the same issues. Hopefully someone of you
can help me:

I had a perfectly working mythTV DVB-C (Germany) installation until end
of february. Out of a sudden, without me chaning anything, one single
channel (ZDF) stopped working. It doesn't work in LiveTV mode any more,
nor do any recordings I made on this channel. 2-week-old recordings from
this channel which I kept, however, are still working.

I figured out that, when recording something on this channel, recording
works fine in the sense that the video data is recorded. The
corresponding .mpg file stored on disk seems to be ok and plays
perfectly when I manually play it with mplayer (also, it doesn't produce
any errors, warnings or other unusual output when playing it with
mplayer). BUT: mythTV can't play this recording! The preview icons both
in mythfrontend and mythweb are just black (when they're created while
displaying them the first time, the mythbackend process does something
which causes load for several minutes but doesn't result in any debug
output or a thumbnail icon). When trying to play the recording I just
get a black screen and mythfrontend keeps printing "NVP: Prebuffer wait
timed out 10 times." -- just repeatedly this line, nothing more compared
to the usual output. (When deinterlacing is disabled, mythfrontend stays
reactive and playback can be cancelled using ESC; when deinterlacing is
enabled however, I've to kill mythfrontend.)

I just can't get the clue what's going on here. Old recordings from this
channel reproducibly play and new ones don't. All other channels still
work. I verified that the VID and service ID of that channel did not
change. I also contacted the TV network and asked if they changed
anything in the stream format or the stream headers. But they say that
they didn't change anything lately.

BTW: I'm running mythTV 0.21.0+fixes16838-0ubuntu3.1 on Ubuntu 8.04.

Kind regards,
     Joachim