[mythtv-users] Going to add HD-- anyone with the WD 'green' sata drive?

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 17 02:00:05 UTC 2009

On Tue Mar 17  9:40 , Brian Wood  sent:

>On Monday 16 March 2009 16:33:09 David Rees wrote:
>> >
>> > Western Digital also offers 5-year warranties on their "enterprise" class
>> > drives.
>>
>> Also note that Seagate no longer offers 5-year warranties on OEM drives.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx\?Item=N82E16822148373
>>
>> While I used to be a "Seagate or nothing" fan, after their recent
>> firmware, drive bricking and high early infant death problems, I am
>> not such a huge Seagate fanboy now.
>
>I agree Seagate has shot itself in the foot lately. I wonder if it has
>anything to do with the recent Seagate/Maxtor marriage.
>
>I used to like the Micropolis drives, MANY years ago. I guess things just
>change with time.

I was also a Seagate Fanboy at one point. However, I have found even the non
green drives (I bought them just before the green series came out).. I have in my
RAID, run around 5 or 6 degrees cooler than the Seagate ones.... (I know mixed
drives is not an ideal situation but it working fine)..

I also understand that there might not be a correlation between heat and
failure... but there is a corellation between heat, fans speed and noise :) ..
It's not in my living room, but still it's in our guest room.. It's nice to let
them sleep..