[mythtv-users] Comcast putting the squeeze on Analog cable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 16 21:44:39 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009 15:31:04 Ross Campbell wrote:
> Comcast in my area is planning to cripple analog cable service by limiting
> service to channels 2-33 starting March 16th.
>
> With the broadcast transition from analog to digital TV, I BELIEVED that
> the message was intended to be: "If you don't have cable, you need to ...".
> Now, I FEEL that Comcast's arbitrary crippling of their analog cable
> service is contrary to the message that was being presented around the US
> DTV cutover.
>
> At the moment, I'm very happy with my PVR-500 and analog cable. At some
> point, I'll go to an HDPVR, but I don't want to do it this week, and I
> don't want to be forced to do it based on an arbitrary decision by my cable
> provide to start reducing my channel lineup.
>
> Something about this whole mess feels to me to violate the spirit of the
> broadcast transition to digital. I'm pretty sure I'm justified in feeling
> like I'm getting the short end of the stick, but... is Comcast ALLOWED to
> do this?

The FCC wanted to know about any instances of cable companies using the
digital trasition to try and force people to pay for STBs. Some of them are
getting around this by giving away the STB as they trasition everything to
digital, but I'm sure they will just wait a while and then start charging for
the STBs.

--
beww
beww at beww.org