[mythtv-users] Mythsqueezebox Volume Control Doesn't Work

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 19:14:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Robert <RobertCL at iname.com> wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>>
>> George Galt wrote:

>>> Robert:
>>>
>>> What output are you using?  It seems that somehow there is a conflict
>>> with how the plugin uses portaudio and using anything other than the
>>> standard "stereo" audio out on the soundcard (using something like the
>>> SPDIF out).  If this is the case, try using the standards "stereo" out
>>> for sound to see if this fixes it.  I'm not suggesting you leave it
>>> this way -- obviously, this is something that will have to be fixed.
>>>
>>> I've been considering dropping portaudio altogether, but it is a
>>> bigger project than I've got time for right now, so it will take some
>>> time.
>>>
>>> George
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> MythTV is setup to use:
>>    Audio Output Device: ALSA:default
>>    Mixer Device: ALSA:default
>>    Mixer Controls: PCM
>>
>> However, if I change to:
>>    Audio Output Device: /dev/pcm
>>    Mixer Device: /dev/mixer
>>
>> Then volumne control doesn't work at all in Myth :-(  So I guess there is
>> some problem on my system as a whole in that /dev/mixer doesn't work
>> properly.
>>
>> It looks like PortAudio is using OSS ??  So I'm guessing it's using
>> /dev/mixer by default and hence why it doesn't work.
>>
>> So "all" I need to do is fix /dev/mixer....  Hmm.  I've never really got
>> to grips with alsa config, it's kind of just worked...
>>
>> Robert.
>
> Ok, some success, I installed aumix to test the OSS mixer and noticed I
> didn't have a PCM device.
>
> I confirmed this by looking in /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer which said 'PCM
> "" 0'.  So after some googling found that I should
>
>        echo 'PCM "PCM" 0' > /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer
>
> Doing this made aumix show a PCM mixer (that works) and this seems to have
> made the volume control work in mythsqueezebox :-))
>
> So it all seems to be working ok.
>
> I hope you find time to develop this plugin further, because it seems like
> it would be a useful addition.
>
> Robert.

Robert:

Thanks for the information and for sticking with the plugin.  I'm sort
of holding off on further development until I can focus on a newer
version that works under the new MythUI structure in myth 0.22.  At
that time, I'm going to tackle a few outstanding issues -- such as the
use of portaudio.

FYI, you are correct that portaudio uses OSS as currently configured,
which is why I want to get away from it.

George