[mythtv-users] Freeview & Freesat combined (UK DVBT & DVBS)

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Mar 16 19:09:34 UTC 2009

On 16 Mar 2009, at 18:08, Another Sillyname wrote:

>> It does, but there are typically so few channels per transport that
>> it's nowhere near as useful as the 'now-can't-live-without-it'

There's quite a few channels per transport (more than Freeview) but
for some stupid reason they are really badly grouped!
Like 6 copies of Channel 4, Film 4, Film 4+1 & E4 +1! A few people
should swap slots and we could all get better picture quality thanks
to the benefits of stat mux.
Now wouldn't it be nice if we had all the regional variants together,
BBC1, 2, ITV1, CH4 and a sprinkling of the other ITV's, E4, More 4
etc. That's what's planned for the Freeview primary mux after analog
switch off and for the HD mux I understand. Multirec would give you
all the major channels recorded at once if you wanted :-))

Maybe this is what's coming with the pending "platform upgrade" to
Freesat that various BBC bods have mentioned recently, I was told they
tried to get it done before the Olympics as they were expecting poor
picture quality but I'm told it's due real soon. If it includes an
upgrade to DVBS2 we will all be scuppered for a while! Apparently the
broken ac3 flag will be fixed then too as that was what I was moaning
about at the time!

> I keep meaning to look at the mythweb code to see how hard it would be
> to add a Mux field......I'll get to it eventually!!

That would be really useful.

Andre