[mythtv-users] Mythsqueezebox Volume Control Doesn't Work

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Mon Mar 16 18:22:10 UTC 2009

George Galt wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Robert <RobertCL at iname.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've managed to get the mythsqueezebox plugin compiled and working on
>> Gentoo.  All seems well, except the volume control doesn't actually change
>> the volume.
>>
>> I can "appear" to change the volume using either the volume buttons on my
>> remote (I see the volume bar in mythsqueezebox move on-screen) or using the
>> volume control from squeezecenter (web interface) but the actual volume of
>> playback never changes.
>>
>> I've looked in mythfrontend logs, but there are no obvious errors.  I'm
>> thinking of buying some squeezebox hardware, so I'd like to get this working
>> so I can use it with that.
>>
>> Where should I start looking?
>>
>> (just to be clear, I do hear the music I've added to the playlist being
>> played, it's just that chaning the volume doesn't work)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robert.
>>
>> Mythtv-0.21_p19961 (-fixes?)
>> media-libs/portaudio-19_pre20071207
>> Linux version 2.6.28.7 (root at quad) (gcc version 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2 p1.1))

> Robert:
>
> What output are you using?  It seems that somehow there is a conflict
> with how the plugin uses portaudio and using anything other than the
> standard "stereo" audio out on the soundcard (using something like the
> SPDIF out).  If this is the case, try using the standards "stereo" out
> for sound to see if this fixes it.  I'm not suggesting you leave it
> this way -- obviously, this is something that will have to be fixed.
>
> I've been considering dropping portaudio altogether, but it is a
> bigger project than I've got time for right now, so it will take some
> time.
>
> George

Hi,

MythTV is setup to use:
	Audio Output Device: ALSA:default
	Mixer Device: ALSA:default
	Mixer Controls: PCM

However, if I change to:
	Audio Output Device: /dev/pcm
	Mixer Device: /dev/mixer

Then volumne control doesn't work at all in Myth :-(  So I guess there
is some problem on my system as a whole in that /dev/mixer doesn't work
properly.

It looks like PortAudio is using OSS ??  So I'm guessing it's using
/dev/mixer by default and hence why it doesn't work.

So "all" I need to do is fix /dev/mixer....  Hmm.  I've never really got
to grips with alsa config, it's kind of just worked...

Robert.