[mythtv-users] Going to add HD-- anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Mar 16 17:43:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, March 16, 2009 10:29 am, John Drescher wrote:
> Years ago I moved to 100% Seagate because they were the only one with
> a 5 year warranty.

Western Digital also offers 5-year warranties on their "enterprise" class
drives.

> However now with drive prices as they are, if a
> drive dies after 4 years to me it is questionable weather or not I
> will return it. I mean the 320GB 7200.10s I bought in 2006, if any of
> them go bad in 2010 will spend $10 to send back a drive worth $25?

It probably only makes sense if you have a RAID array where you need all
the drives to stay the same size.  It depends a bit on how your budget
works, too.  Where I work it's often easier to pay extra money on the
front end for a long warranty than to try to get money to replace a dead
drive later, but at home that rarely is the case. :)