[mythtv-users] Freeview & Freesat combined (UK DVBT & DVBS)

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Mar 16 13:58:36 UTC 2009

On 16 Mar 2009, at 13:32, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 16/03/2009, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Is there some accepted wisdom as to the best way to configure the
>> cards or
>> prioritise them that works well in the UK? Does is all work
>> beautifully if
>> you use uk_rt, if so I'll give it another go. How do others use this?
>
> Channels which are the same across different platforms
> (analog/Freeview/Freesat/Virgin) need to have the same callsign and
> xmltvid for the scheduler to treat them as the same. They should also
> ideally have the same listings information to allow
> subtitle/description matching to work effectively - I think that
> Freeview and Freesat share listings information for core channels so
> this should work well if you decide to use the EIT data in lieu of
> uk_rt.

This explains why some channels do the right thing and some don't,
easy to fix, thanks.

Thanks to Sim and Robert too.

I don't have any xmltv ids right now so channel ID's and names should
match. I'll try matching those before I introduce another variable
like uk_rt.

> If you are having problems with uk_rt listings, it is more likely that
> it is not configured optimally for your setup. Once configured you
> should be able to leave it to retrieve listings automatically using
> either mythbackend or by running the grabber in a cron script.

The problems I had in the past, detailed in a reply to Mike Perkins,
were related to channels not getting updated on the rt website and rt
going completely missing then changing it's format!
I'm pretty sure that when the data was there I was getting it, sounds
like it's all good now though.

Andre