[mythtv-users] Playstation 3 as UPnP client to MythTV

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Mar 16 11:24:34 UTC 2009

On 4 Mar 2009, at 12:18, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

Sorry, my turn to apologise for not replying earlier.

> When you say disable multirec, do you mean fully disable it or just
> not
> use it?

I was thinking that switching it in and out might uncover some odd
case in the DVB drivers, it may be that now multirec exists it's
always "on" even for one recording per multiplex, haven't looked at
the code, just a suggestion.

>>> You could post a few minutes of the video that causes the problem
>>> somewhere.
>>
>> I might try recording some random (short) snippets to do that.
>
> I just did this.  Recorded four channels simultaneously across two
> tuners to test multirec.  Recorded two channels across two tuners to
> test without multirec.  Murphy being in effect, of course, all four
> played back on the PS3 just fine...

Maybe it's signal level related (some channels wouldn't play here
sometimes, now fixed with a new aerial system last week) or some other
system activity, I know that I get unplayable recordings if XFS is
defragging while I have more than one recording going to a the same
disk!

> I could upload them if you're interested, but they're not all that
> interesting given they bloody worked!

Fair comment.

> Output below from file, mpginfo and du -sh.

All looks quite reasonable to me, seems to have picked out the
important stuff.

You could do me a big favour, post a few minutes of a couple of
channels that work ok, I'm making some studies of encoding rates and
standards used for sports around the world for a customer and what the
broadcasters tell me they use often doesn't reflect reality!! Ideally
if you can pick a little of Ten sport and something else for a
control, that would be much appreciated.

In an earlier email you asked why I was mentioning the PS3 50Hz
option, as you are in Aus all the transmissions are 25 or 50 frames as
here in Europe. If your TV has told your PS3 it can display 1080p60 or
720p60 it will play everything at 60 frames, it does an amazing job of
conversion but setting 50Hz playback to on makes it play 25 and 50
frame material at 720p50 or 1080p50 which is much better. If your tv
says it can do 1080p50 (can't do 1080p60) then all is well anyway,
well until you play something that's 30 or 60 frames! Shame there
isn't an equivalent for 24 frames material.

Andre