[mythtv-users] Why is my trunk build trying to use VDPAU?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:55:49 UTC 2009

I Installed Mythbuntu's latest weekly build via Synaptic. It updated me to
the following:

MythTV Version   : Unknown
MythTV Branch    : trunk
Library API      : 0.22.20090202-1
Network Protocol : 43
QT Version       : 4.4.3
Options compiled in:
 linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_jack using_backend using_dvb
using_firewire using_frontend using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_hdhomerun
using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3
using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtwebkit
using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld
using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live using_mheg

My machine is a Pentium Dual core with a GeForce 7300LE card. X blew up so I
updated the Nvidia drivers to version 180.29. I had to jump through hoops to
get Myth working but when I did it retained all my settings, recordings etc.
However, whenever I try to watch tv or recorded programs on my master FE/BE
I get a segmentation fault. I upgraded my standalone FE to trunk with the
same methods as this one and it can play recordings and live tv without
issue (It's an older GeForce, 5200 I believe).

Mythfrontend -v all gives me this tidbit when it crashes:
2009-03-14 15:44:35.139 VDPAU Error: Error at util-vdpau.cpp:157 (#1,
Unknown)
2009-03-14 15:44:35.139 VDPAU Error: Failed to create VDP Device.

And I found these errors in dmesg:
2009-03-14 15:44:35.139 VDPAU Error: Error at util-vdpau.cpp:157 (#1,
Unknown)
2009-03-14 15:44:35.139 VDPAU Error: Failed to create VDP Device.

I went into setup - tv settings and confirmed that while VDPAU was an option
it was not selected (interestingly it was orignially set to quartz, which is
for Mac systems. Weird.) - I chose XV-blit, same issue. I  then changed it
from CPU++ to Normal, same result.

My card obviously can't handle VDPAU; it's too old and I didn't plan on
using it anyways. Where the heck is Myth (or the system) setting that's
enabling VDPAU? Here's the module section of my xorg.conf if it helps:

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "type1"