[mythtv-users] SATA Drive Dock, was:...anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

Michael Lynch lynchmv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 01:47:49 UTC 2009

> I can see it being very useful for copying or transferring drive data, or
> presetting up drives for multiple systems. Basically good for working on/with
> drives for any reason, even power measurements.
>
> I'm not sure I would use it as a permanent storage solution, especially if it
> was within range of little children's fingers.
>
> The drives are much faster in their native configuration than in a
> USB-connected device, is there some reason you need them to be external, or
> is it just convenience?
>
> But if USB is fast enough for your needs, and you have no kids or destructive
> type adults, it should work fine.
>
> Adding eSATA to its capability would make it even more useful.
>
> I was supposed to get a pair of WDs delivered today. All FedEX can tell me is
> they are somewhere between California and Memphis, and I should get them
> Monday. Grrrrrr... Haven't they heard of instant gratification?
> --
> beww
> beww at beww.org

It's sitting in the closet in the garage, so it is out of harms way.
There is a punch-out on the dock for the esata connection so I'd also
assume there's the spot on the board for it if I was adventurous
enough.

As for performance, I've moved all recordings to it (just finishing up
moving the last of them now) and plan on letting it record/playback
for a week or two before I've made my final decision of leaving it
outside the box in the dock, or putting it inside the case mounted
properly.