[mythtv-users] discarding original file after transcoding

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:48:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Stephen Shelton
<stephen at stephenashelton.com> wrote:
> I've got some shell script wrappers that do some transcoding. While they work
> well, they still do not overwrite the original file or touch the myth database.
> I'd like to incorporate that into my scripts, but have a couple questions:
>
> 1) What all is required here? Of the fields on the 'recorded' table, I'll
> obviously need to modify filesize, and basename if I rename the file. I'm
> guessing the video length is (endtime - starttime), so I either need to have
> those times not reflect the air times, or have the length not reflect the final
> video length. Not a big deal. Do I want to clear the cutlist or commercial flags
> (will they cause me pains otherwise?)
>
> 2) The basename doesn't really let me put my transcoded files into a separate
> directory. To accomplish this, do I want to change storage groups?
>
> 3) Will I run into trouble by running ad-hoc sql statements to accomplish the
> above?

Check out my projectX cutting script:
http://github.com/drescherjm/jmdgentoooverlay/blob/3efbed0c602655645355c4d2986da6123ca235fc/Other/shell-scripts/mythtv/pxcut.sh

It replaces the file and has an option weather or not to delete the
original. There is one problem however, the skip list is still messed
up after this so if you try to skip in mythfrontend it does not work
correctly. I have seen discussions on how to fix this but I do not
watch the shows as much inside the frontend and opt to burn most to
dvd first so this is not a problem for me.

John M. Drescher