[mythtv-users] RAM differences, was: will this system cut it ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:10:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Stackpole, Chris
<CStackpole at barbnet.com> wrote:
> [...]
I forgot OCZ. This is on my list. Now patriot, that is a different
issue. I have had issues with their 2GB registered dimms but they were
resolvable by using the ram in single channel and swapping ram around
at work. They are not on my don't buy list but I would have to
carefully read reviews before buying any more.

> I usually weed out other companies then look at these companies sorted
> by pricing. The only thing I really look for is lifetime warranty. Some
> memory (even by the same manufacture) will only come with a couple of
> years at most. While I don't plan on having memory for a lifetime, I
> have found that the lifetime memory is easier to RMA. Less hoops
> required to jump through in my experience.
>
> I have large amounts of dead memory from many vendors. These few
> companies tend to give me fewer problems over all, and they get high
> marks for customer service. I have to give high props to Kingston and
> Samsung. Those guys have provided me with awesome customer service in
> the past.

[snip]
> I too take Newegg's ratings seriously when buying memory. Not just high
> ratings either. Memory w/ 5 stars may only have 2 votes and I might buy
> the one with 4 stars and 200 votes.

Exactly. I hold a lot more weight in a review with 200 votes versus
one with less than 10.

John