[mythtv-users] LP PCI Audio recommendations?

Shawn Flynn sflynn1 at rogers.com
Fri Mar 13 14:55:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Travis Tabbal wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Brian Phillips wrote:
>>> Or, there's this already-built module:
>>> http://www.svideo.com/coaxtoslink1.html
>>>
>>> Downsides: requires it's own power supply.
>>
>> And it doesn't help if you're trying to connect to a mobo pin header. :)
But
>> it's still a useful device. The nice thing about the circuit I posted is
>> that it can draw power from that same pin header. They usually provide
+5V,
>> GND, and DATA. Parts cost is about $8, shipping can kill you though. I
was
>> ordering some other stuff anyway, so I just added those parts while I was
at
>> it.
>>

> All rather off topic, the OP wants a card, not a solution that doesn't
> help him. He doesn't have an spdif motherboard so there are no pins to
> connect to.

OT perhaps, but not unhelpful or unappreciated. If I can only find a card
with coax out, I now have a couple of options to convert that to the optical
out I need.

Now back on topic... does anyone know of a Low Profile PCI audio card with
good linux support that would give me digital audio out? Optical preferred,
but if I can't find that I'll settle for coax. Heck, I'll even take
suggestions on a USB audio device if the digital out works in linux.