[mythtv-users] will this system cut it ?

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 01:49:27 UTC 2009

> So the primary question remains, will the VDPAU deinterlacing from the 8500 or
> 8400 (these are the only real options)... be better looking than Linear Blend
> currently in use.

In my experience and many others on the list the VDPAU deinterlacers
are the best quality you can get. I use the Advanced 2x with my SD
content and it is dramatically better. I think the 8400 can't do that
highest deinterlacers with 1080i. Check out the wiki article on VDPAU
and there are reports from individuals and their experience with
specific cards. It looks like the 8500 can do the Temporal 1x/2x but
not Advanced 2x (ie spatial-temporal deinterlacing). I think you will
find the VDPAU Temporal 1x/2x deinterlacers are preferable to linear
blend. It is certainly worth a try if you have the hardware. See what
it looks like.