[mythtv-users] LP PCI Audio recommendations?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Mar 12 21:57:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Brian Phillips <brian.phillips at gmx.net>wrote:

> > About 80% of the way down, there is a simple circuit to convert the
> > header pins on the motherboard to an optical connection. A couple
> > resistors, a cap, and a transmitter module that's really just an LED
> > with a nice plug housing.
> >
> > None of that helps you if you lack the header pins on the motherboard
> > and know what pin is what, but it might help others.
>
> Or, there's this already-built module:
> http://www.svideo.com/coaxtoslink1.html
>
> Downsides: requires it's own power supply.

And it doesn't help if you're trying to connect to a mobo pin header. :) But
it's still a useful device. The nice thing about the circuit I posted is
that it can draw power from that same pin header. They usually provide +5V,
GND, and DATA. Parts cost is about $8, shipping can kill you though. I was
ordering some other stuff anyway, so I just added those parts while I was at
it.