[mythtv-users] Current Trunk, mysql latin1 and gentoo oddities

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:31:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/12/2009 02:26 PM, Wayde Milas wrote:
>>
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> By "release version," you mean 0.21-fixes?  If so, it only compiles with
>>> Qt 3.x, so wouldn't be affected by the Qt 4.5.0 bug.
>>>

>> Wasn't aware of that, I though you were referring to the fixes branch
>> initially based on how the ticket was filed.
>>
>> Anyways, Its fixed now, thanks for your help.
>
> OK.  Just to clarify.  The MySQL Server configuration requirement (that most
> Gentoo users' MySQL servers don't meet--i.e. configuring the server to use
> the latin1 character set) is a requirement for -fixes databases, only.
>  (I.e. you would need to have the proper configuration when you import your
> -fixes database, but as soon as you run trunk's mythtv-setup to upgrade the
> database, you can change the MySQL server configuration as desired.)
>
> The failed DB upgrade/creation was an issue for trunk, only.  It's no longer
> a problem in current trunk.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike...I remember when this came up earlier.  For those of us
running 0.21-fixes with the default Gentoo UTF8 setup (where the
server defaults are UTF8 but the database was in fact created with
wc.sql with the latin1 defaults for mythconverg), does the statement
you made here still apply?:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/362243#362243

...and I guess that what you're saying is that, whenever I upgrade to
any upcoming version 0.22, I'd need to make sure that my my.cnf was
set up so as to default to latin1 for everything in order for the
conversion to work correctly, but can be set to UTF8 after?  I just
wanted to be sure.

The settings in my.cnf certainly get confusing enough:

There are default-character-set listed under [mysql], [mysqladmin],
[mysqlcheck], [mysqldump], [mysqlimport], [mysqlshow], and [mysqld],
in addition to the character-set-server setting under [mysqld].
Though some of those surely wouldn't affect the upgrade, I'd assume
the safe bet is make sure they're all latin1 for the upgrade.

Thanks for all the valuable info as always!
Tom