[mythtv-users] Second PVR not seen my MythTVSetup, possible permission problem?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 11 23:06:50 UTC 2009

On 03/11/2009 05:21 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> Trying to add 2 PVR-150s to a newly built machine.
>
> The first card (/dev/video0) works just fine.
>
> I can't add the second card, usually I can just scroll through the available
> devices, but I can only get /dev/video0. If I manually set it to video1 it
> says it can't open the card.
>
> Boot logs show both cards being initialized normally.
>
> Both devices appear to be there:
>
> ls -l /dev/vid*
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      6 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video -> video0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 81,  0 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video0
> crw-rw----  1 root root 81,  1 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video1
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 81, 24 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video24
> crw-rw----  1 root root 81, 25 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video25
> crw-rw----  1 root root 81, 32 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video32
> crw-rw----  1 root root 81, 33 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video33

Meaning that you will only find that device in mythtv-setup's drop down
if you run mythtv-setup as root.

> This looks correct to me, except:
>
> I don't understand what the "+" is after the video0 device. I don't think it's
> the suid bit, or any of the things I'm familiar with.

Permissions going above and beyond those representable with the standard
POSIX permissions...  Translation: ACL.

> But the device with the "+" works, the one without it does not. I'd just add
> the "+", if I had any idea what it might be.

So, either a) run mythtv-setup as root (assuming, also, that mythbackend
runs as root) or b) change the *nix permissions on your device entries,
or c) set an equivalent ACL on the second card's device nodes.

Mike