[mythtv-users] Tearing problem solved. Film at 11.

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Mar 11 13:33:37 UTC 2009

Ever since getting my 1080p TV over a year ago, I had been having
problems with a horizontal Z-shaped tear during certain types of
motion--always at the same location on the screen. Nothing I did
seemed to help. I tried messing with vsync in both Myth and the
NVidia control panel, going to RTC vsync in Myth, using a different
video card, and using a VGA input on the TV, all to no avail.

Then, the other day, I though of something. What if it's the TV's
fault? I went in and started looking for things that affect video
scaling and quality. That's when I discovered that the "CineMotion"
feature (which is supposed to correct problems with telecined video)
of my Sony was turned on. Disabling this corrected the tear, and now
I'm much happier.

I haven't checked yet, but I think this could also have an effect on
some of my kid's cartoons, for which some recordings seemed to be
even jerkier than others.

So the moral of the story is: don't assume your tearing problems are
all on the PC side of things. Check for anything on the TV that might
be causing it to process the entire picture: scaling, motion
correction, deinterlacing, etc. Sometimes these things are best left
to the PC.