[mythtv-users] minimum card requirements for VDPAU

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 11 04:52:32 UTC 2009

Hi All

I have read various bits of information for VDPAU drivers and am getting
confused, so hopefully this list can help me.

I am buying a new system for my audio studio soon, and due to a rotation on my
boxes  will need to buy a new PCIe video card. At this point in time I am trying
to spend as little money as possible, but don't want to be caught in a false
economy and find in 12 months I should have spent more now.

I am wondering essentially if a base model silent 8400 GS card will be enough for
my mythfrontend to run VDPAU. The CPU is an opteron 170 and it has 2GB of RAM.

I use the system for watching HD rips, DVD's and Digital TV.

I have read there are some limitations to any 8xxx series cards, but I am
confused as to what these are and if I need to worry about them. Locally I can't
get anything lower than a 9600 in a silent model, and that seems like overkill
for my needs.

Any clarification would be nice.

cheers

Allan