[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:46:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM, David Shay <david at shay.net> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>> One thing that was interesting about the converter box install was
>>> that it required a call into Comcast with an ID for the box before it
>>> would operate at all. So far the HDHR has just worked.
>
> I'm wondering if maybe the HDHR simply qualifies as a digital
> converter? I'm thinking that maybe Comcast has stuff up at the pole
> that routes digital packages to specific houses. Once they decide my
> house gets 80 channels why do they care if I use a box that's provided
> for free by them. Isn't it to their advantage for me to provide the
> box myself, saving the cost? If the digital is there, which it is, and
> if it's picked up by the HDHR, then maybe that won't change at all.
>
> All my install guy said was that the analog versions of these channels
> would go away very soon. Digital will still be there, picked up by the
> STBs, the free digital converter and possibly the HDHR too.
>
> Or am I being too optimistic? ;-)

Nope, each box has the equivalent of a MAC address on their network.
You can take the box assigned to you to any house within your area and
it will work with the channels you pay for. BUT apparently the Comcast
van's have a device that operates as they drive around that somehow
scans to make sure the boxes are in the right home. Take that with a
grain of salt but that is what a Comcast tech told me they do to find
stolen hardware/etc.

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff