[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 10 17:21:56 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 11:13:19 Simon Hobson wrote:

> I would not be at all surprised to find these solar installation
> having setups designed to detect loss of grid and shut down - so as
> to avoid the potential problems of feeding the grid (you either
> overload the unit, or stuff dangerous voltages up the line, os some
> combination).

A local Railroad signalman here was killed when he shut down the primary line
to work on it. A Maintainer fired up a generator to run one of the doghouses,
and this fed back through the transformer, killing the signal lineman, who
thought all power was off.

So there may be some justification for such a design.

--
beww
beww at beww.org