[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Mar 10 13:39:04 UTC 2009

Jeff Walther wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:48:42 -0700
 >
> Anyway, this topic kind of chaps me because I frequently hear the media
> non-critically hyping how wonderful it is to have solar panels, and the
> fact is that anyone who can do simple math (and doesn't live somewhere
> with really expensive electricity) can see that they make no economic
> sense whatsoever.

I think you're not counting the indirect economic benefits with solar
and other green power compared to fossil-fuel based power:

- Less air pollution should result in reduced costs in health care and
higher productivity with people missing fewer days of work due to smog
alerts and respiratory problems.  Not just for the people who put solar
panels on their roof, but at least some part of the population in general.

- Reduced risk of runaway global warming.

I'd say both of those are obviously hard things to quantify, but they're
worth something.