[mythtv-users] DVD drive activity disrupts video

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at graze.net
Mon Mar 9 20:44:18 UTC 2009

All,

I've been having problems with mythtv and playing DVDs for some time.
When playing a DVD I get video choppiness every so often during high
motion scenes.  I've noticed that if I rip the DVD and then watch it
there's no problem.  Recently I've watched closer and it seems that the
video skips seem to be in time with the activity light on the DVD drive.

So it seems that there's some sort of contention.  I've had this problem
since I've upgraded my computer to a *much* faster system (ironically) I
used to have an 8 year old P4 2Gig (not even hyperthreading) and never
saw this problem.  The DVD drive is exactly the same and the video card
is newer too: Nvidia 8xxx series in a PCIE slot (as opposed to an older
lower quality nvidia card in an AGP slot in the old system).

So it's troubling that this newer system that has faster dual-core CPUs,
more memory, and a faster bus is showing this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,
Brian