[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 9 19:12:21 UTC 2009

On 03/09/2009 02:23 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>>> As for the 80 PLUS PSU's, they're saving me about $1.50/mo per backend with
>>> rates of:
>>>
>> What's the up-front cost of replacing PSUs? I somehow doubt I'd get my
>> money back in a year, even at my inflated power prices, but maybe I
>> should check that out.
> You can get these for less than $50.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058%204025%201409730089&name=80%20PLUS%20Certified

Yeah, since I bought my first 80 PLUS PSU (which happened to be on sale
for $39.99 the same day a non-80-PLUS PSU blew up (with real smoke and
grinding of fans/bearings)), I've been buying new ones only when they're
on sale.

The Corsair at the top of that list (CMPSU-400CX 400W) was $29.99 after
$10 instant discount from newegg e-mail promo code and $10 MIR just a
couple of weeks ago.  I'd recommend--when replacing PSU's to save
money--just waiting for a good sale (as the $10-$20 you'll save on the
sale would take several months of usage to save in electricity costs).

Currently, the best deal I know of is the Rosewill RG430-2 430W 80-PLUS
( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182159 )
which is $64.99 - $15 instant savings and there's a 20% discount with
promo code RW80, making it $39.99 (free 3-day shipping).  And, though
Rosewill isn't the best-known-name in tech equipment, it sounds like a
good PSU (tested at 84.81% typical efficiency--slightly higher than the
84.78% of the Antec Earthwatts EA-430D I used for my backend --
http://80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_reports/SP418.1(08)_Rosewill_RG430-2_430W_Report.pdf
).  I will say it's definitely better quality than what I've been using
for years (the cheap PSU's that I got with cheap cases).  Note, though,
I'm not recommending this PSU and will not be held liable for any
problems...

Also, newegg has a search criterion for PSU's that allows you to specify
80 PLUS (as the link above does) as well as 80 PLUS Bronze and Silver
(they don't currently carry any Gold PSU's).  Go to
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=58&name=Power-Supplies
and select an option for Energy-Efficient.  Note that 80 PLUS guarantees
80% or higher efficiency over a range of loads from 20-100% (and is
/vastly/ different from the "up to 80%" efficiencies listed in newegg
specs for non-certified PSU's).  The Bronze/Silver/Gold certifications
add to the 80 PLUS certification specific minimum efficiencies at 20%,
50%, and 100% loads.  Bronze is 82%/85%/82%.  Silver is 85%/88%/85%.
Gold is 87%/90%/87%.  Note, however, that many of the 80 PLUS standard
PSU's are /very/ close to the same efficiencies as the Bronze-certified
PSU's.  See the PSU reports for details:
http://80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_join.aspx .

Mike