[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 17:14:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:54 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That said, your electricity might be much cheaper than mine. If you don't
>> have tiers over 15c/KhW, then solar is not likely to help you as much as
>> it helps me.
>>
> Here in Pittsburgh PA there is no such thing as tiers. You pay the
> same rate regardless of the time of day or day of year. And the rate
> is less than 15c/KWh. On top of that the electricity cost alone (our
> bill is broken down to individual costs) is like 1/3 of the bill and
> the rest is taxes, transmission, distribution, administrative costs
> ... So for that my electricity bill averages out to be around $100 /
> month and this includes having AC in the summer months.
>
> John

I posted this once before but here's the current rates for my place in
Northern CA:

Baseline up to 378 Kwh = $0.11536
101%-130% (113.4 Kwh) = $0.13115
131%-200% (264 Kwh) = $0.24711
200%-300% (576 Kwh) = $0.35432

There's a BIG jump over 200% baseline which is where I figure my
MythTV costs come in as we end up at about 150% baseline even on
vacation. My place with CFLs, pool equipment, electric range and lots
of MythTV equipment comes in at the range of 225%-250% of baseline for
about $200/month charges. Note that this is nearly 1000 Kwh! (937 on
the current bill...) Generation and distribution were about $160 of
the $200.

- Mark