[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:29:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Only that what the HDHR gives me is essentially all the stuff below
>>> channel 34 that I can get from the free converters that Comcast
>>> provides for SD->analog conversion. (Assuming I ever get USB-IR
>>> Blasters working.) The HDHR gives me my major networks, OTA type
>>> stations. I estimate that these stations account for about 50% of what
>>> we record. The other 50% is FX, TBS, TNT, USA, FOOD, HGTV, Comedy
>>> Central, Bravo, SciFi, etc. I'll be shot if we loss Monk, Psych,
>>> Saving Grace, Damages, The Closer, etc. I'll be nothing but blood on
>>> the wall. ;-)
>>
>> I'm in the exact same boat as you Mark, and we live close to each
>> other. I need those upper channels. Have you heard when comcast is
>> switching in our area? I haven't heard a word from them.
>
> BTW, http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels_us for 95124
> doesn't map with what I've found. For instance, right now I'm watching
> 89-2, which is KGO (ABC), but the silicon dust listing says it should
> be KRON. KRON for me is 89-4, but silicon dust says that should be
> ABC7 (which is KGO)
>
> what gives?
>
> --
> Brad Fuller

I haven't even applied power to my HDHR for over a month so I'm way
out of date. I'll try to take a look for what I'm getting over here
sometime this week.

The further discussion of what channels are available in Clear QAM is
interesting to me but might possibly create yet another moving target.
Not only is Comcast free (I think) to do this within their licensing
agreements with the networks, but they are probably free to do it
differently based on the service area. If you are supplying digital
cable to a low-rent district where you already know from serive calls
that your clients are not so technically adept you might choose to
make the conversion to digital easier and just give them more channels
for free. However if you're supplying digital cable to zip code 90210
where people already have IT managers in their homes then you might
take away everything as you know they can pay.

- Mark