[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Mon Mar 9 00:40:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 05:33:44PM -0700, Steve Heistand wrote:
> }
> } So that's the thing, they seem to have added those analog channels as
> } unencrypted QAM256, and you can tune them with HD-HR, so it doesn't sound as
> } bad as I was worried about initially.
>
> I was under the impression that the FCC was requiring them to broadcast
> local channels unencrypted.

Sure, but COMEDYP, SCIFIP or TLCP aren't considered local channels, those
are the ones we're talking about :)
For now, they seem to be unencrypted QAM256, so it won't be a big deal to
switch.

Strangely enough, SCIFIP and DSCP are one of the very few channels I get
without 5C on my DCH-3200. I wonder if comcast knew not to mess with geeks
in the silicon valley :)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/