[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Sun Mar 8 18:56:12 UTC 2009

Portland, OR Comcast customers are facing the digital conversion too. The cutover is April 15.

Some information I've gathered:

* The low-end "Basic Cable" channels will still be available in analog. So your analog tuners will still be able to record the big networks and various community access and shopping channels.

* While not guaranteed, it is likely that the high-def digital broadcast channels in your area (generally the big networks) will still be available as clear QAM channels. They miight scramble them eventually, but for a time they'll be unencrypted.

* The replacement digital "Standard Cable" channels will be, for a time at least, clear QAM. Which means your existing digital tuners will be able to capture from them.

* In the Portland area, these replacement digital channels are already active! I am able to tune into them with my HDTV. My MythBox's digital tuner can also see them, but I had to use a technique in the Wiki to get the correct channel numbers. The mythtvsetup scanner wasn't up to the task.

* Myth doesn't like it when your have a digital and an analog channel with the same name and/or XMLid. While I added all of the new digital channels I was interested in, the analog versions overshadow them on the program grid (and in the channel editor!).

* It is possible that the channel mappings may change in the future. I'm expecting to have to rescan after the 4/15 transition.