[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 16:38:03 UTC 2009

[... Comcast channels 35-82]

>> So,
>> 1) you seem to be saying it's not going to be a flag day and that the analog
>> channels are already available as digital?

>> 2) if so, or in either case, are those digital channels (going to be)
>> tunable with hd-homerun or encrypted and will require the DCH-3200 or
>> equivalent (like SCIFI-HD)

        They are already Clear QAM (at least in my area) so they are
tunable with the HDHR.  You can check what's currently unencrypted in
your area here:

http://www.silicondust.com/locale/country/hdhomerun/channels

I believe the channels will remain unencrypted because that's what the
converter boxes can handle.  The only potential problem is if Comcast
decides to move the channels around too frequently.  I suspect they'll
move them a bit after they free up the analog frequencies.  In my area,
the switch is scheduled "on or around" tomorrow (March 9) so I'll have
to monitor this for the next few weeks.

>> 3) Since I have the OTA channels tunable via HD-Homerun, are there even any
>> analog channels going to be left that will be worth tuning (in other words, will
>> my 3 analog tuners be sitting idle from now on)?

        I guess they are useful as additional tuners if you have
schedule conflicts.

> 4) are the digital-analog converter boxes useful at all with mythtv?

        I have the DTAs that Comcast is giving out (Pace DC50X), but am
still trying to get a combination of LIRC remote codes and IR blaster
that works properly with it.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com