[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Sun Mar 8 06:17:52 UTC 2009

[Cc on replies appreciated]

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:07:48PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Comcast is in my house right now. Here in Los Gatos the way it's going
> to work is this:
>
> 1) On Feb. 17th, or whatever the date is the conversion actually takes
> place there will be no change. All analog will continue.
>
> 2) About 4-6 weeks later Comcast will stop sending analog on all
> channels above 34.

So, I'm in the same boat but haven't worked on it yet.
I have 3 analog tuners, 2 digitals via HD-Homerun, and one FW via DCH-3200.

Since I already pick up the 12 low numbered channels via HD-Homerun in HD,
and don't seem to use 14->34, so it looks like they're exactly going to
remove the analog channels I've been watching.
It looks like the channels I might care about and will be losing:
36/FXP, 37/TNTP, 42/USAP, 45/SPIKEP, 47/AETVP, 49/AMCP, 50/TLCP, 63/COMEDY.

68/SCIFIP is no biggie since I already have SCIFI-HD now.
63/COMEDY is the one I'll miss the most.

So,
1) you seem to be saying it's not going to be a flag day and that the analog
channels are already available as digital?

2) if so, or in either case, are those digital channels (going to be)
tunable with hd-homerun or encrypted and will require the DCH-3200 or
equivalent (like SCIFI-HD)

3) Since I have the OTA channels tunable via HD-Homerun, are there even any
analog channels going to be left that will be worth tuning (in other words, will
my 3 analog tuners be sitting idle from now on)?

Thanks much,
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/