[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Artifacts and can't view/watch Music Channels.

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 23:40:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 07 March 2009 10:44:07 Andrew Burgess wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 11:27 -0600, James Oltman wrote:
> > > They both connect to the same splitter outside the house.
> >
> > You could try swapping the connections at the splitter to eliminate it
> > as a problem.
>
> Good suggestion. A lot of devices that look like "splitters" are in fact
> directional couplers. Hybrid splitters have equal loss to each output port,
> which DCs will have a "through" port, typically with 1 db. or less of loss,
> and a "tap" port, with anywhere from 8 to 36 db. of loss from the input
> port.
>
> A DC will have MUCH better isolation from port to port than a hybrid
> splitter,
> and they do not depend on a proper termination of all ports to achieve this
> isolation.
>
> In other words, if you can sustain the additional loss, a DC is a much
> better
> device to use in splitting signal. This is what the cable company uses on
> the
> pole or in the pedestal, as it is the only way they can maintain the
> required
> isolation from subscriber to subscriber.
>
> Generally you never saw DCs in homes, until the advent of cable modems,
> which
> were more sensitive to isolation and termination issues than TV sets or
> converters.

OK.  It seems that there are two things going on.  The line coming into my
office is being split several ways.  One going to the cable modem, two going
to 2 analog lines and 2 going to the HDHR.  I have moved the HDHR into my
living room to test that line, and after hooking it up and viewing the HDHR
with the VLC method, I am now getting good quality signal.  So I have to do
something with my hookups in the office.  However, I've gone through every
station that the HDHR scanned as not encrypted and I'm still not hearing the
music channels.  How can I hear them on my TV but not on the HDHR?  Is
anyone else having this issue?  Thanks!

Jim