[mythtv-users] database access

backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org
Sat Mar 7 02:38:56 UTC 2009

Geoff wrote:

> I would make a small bet that you are missing the Perl-DBI package or
> the libdbi package and it is the perl call which (silently) fails. Try
> browsing through the package lists for your distro and look for
> something like libdbi-dbd-mysql and/or perl-Class-DBI-mysql....

I am running mythbuntu 8.04

user at mythtv:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep dbi
libdbi-perl                                     install
user at mythtv:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep DBI
user at mythtv:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep libdbi
libdbi-perl                                     install
user at mythtv:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep dbd
dhcdbd                                          install
libdbd-mysql-perl                               install
user at mythtv:~$

So it looks like I have the perl database interface packages

Owen wrote:

> Looking at the script, it's not searching for mysql.txt, it's looking for
> config.xml which is usually in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>
> It sets defaults up where you specified, then tries to override them
> from the config file, then from the commandline ops.
>
> Does your config.xml show the same settings as your mysql.txt?

I thought this might be the problem...

user at mythtv:~$ cat /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
cat: /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml: No such file or directory
user at mythtv:~$ locate config.xml
/etc/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-config.xml
/home/user/.mythtv/config.xml
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/config.xml
user at mythtv:~$

I only have a config.xml in my home directory, not the mythtv home
directory

skipping the bonobo file, these read:

user at mythtv:~$ cat /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/config.xml
<Configuration>
  <UPnP>
    <MythFrontend>
      <DefaultBackend>
        <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>
        <DBHostName>127.0.0.1</DBHostName>
        <DBUserName>mythtv</DBUserName>
        <DBPassword>mythtv</DBPassword>
        <DBName>mythconverg</DBName>
        <DBPort>0</DBPort>
      </DefaultBackend>
    </MythFrontend>
  </UPnP>
</Configuration>
user at mythtv:~$ cat /home/user/.mythtv/config.xml
user at mythtv:~$

So

(a) the mythtv user has no config.xml
(b) my home directory has an empty config.xml file
(c) the one in the doc file is probably just an example of the file
structure.

So I created a new config.xml in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/

user at mythtv:~$ cat /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
<Configuration>
   <UPnP>
      <MythFrontend>
         <DefaultBackend>
            <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>
            <DBHostName>127.0.0.1</DBHostName>
            <DBUserName>mythtv</DBUserName>
            <DBPassword>*********</DBPassword>     <-(the real
            password!)
            <DBName>mythconverg</DBName>
            <DBPort>0</DBPort>
         </DefaultBackend>
       </MythFrontend>
   </UPnP>
</Configuration>
user at mythtv:~$ls -la /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 361 2009-03-06 21:29
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
user at mythtv:~$

And reversed the kludge in MythTV.pm but no luck running scripts like
nuvexport, even after restarting mysql.
Put the kludge back in, it works.

<scratches head>

Oh well.

Good news: I fixed the mythweb problem with this unrelated fix:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/php5/+bug/329053

Jon S.