[mythtv-users] Central Storage

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Sat Mar 7 01:44:49 UTC 2009

noelcollins at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> They only have 3 PCI slots, 1 for tuner, 1 for gig ethernet, 1 spare ( maybe SATA later on )
> Also wish to keep heat load down within each pc.

I don't think spreading the load over 10 pcs is going to save you any
real heat.  You're still using cpu cycles no matter where you're using them.

Have you seen pci expansion chassis?  a single pci card on a cable
attaches to a mainboard with several more pci slots.

Don't forget every pc you have running is going to have a power supply
wasting energy, a couple of fans wasting energy, a hard drive or two,
etc.  You're also not going to have access to any recordings you might
put on these backends unless they are running.