[mythtv-users] Central Storage

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Mar 6 17:21:51 UTC 2009

noelcollins at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> I am looking at 6-8 secondary backends (on FREE redundant P4 2.4GHz machines which I limit to 1 HD stream or 2 SD streams ) and 5 Frontend Machines

Digital tuners and MPEG encoders require next to no processor capacity
to record.  There is no reason to split among that many backends.  The
only reason to use multiple backends is if you either run out of PCI(e)
slots for tuners, or ports for hard drives.  If you really wanted, you
could use the extra P4s as job queues.  Write a script to check for
queued jobs, and start up more machines to run them.