[mythtv-users] Central Storage

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Mar 6 16:44:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> will you really be taxing the network connection if you run a gigabit network?

How many machines are we talking about here? If there are a lot, I
guess you could. An HD ATSC stream is about 20Mbit/Sec. Of course, you
would need a big Myth setup to overload a gigabit LAN.

Just got the update message. Hmmm.... I would skip LVM and use Myth's
storage groups for the storage. Unless you want RAID5, then you may as
well use LVM too. Let's say 8 backends tuning 1 HD signal each and 5
frontends streaming HD. So you have 13*20Mbit/Sec = 260Mbit/Sec. A
gigabit LAN should be able to keep up. Even 2 bonded 100Mbit cards
wouldn't be able to.

What tuners are you running? If you use HDHomeruns or other digital
tuners, you could lose all those backends and just have the master
backend do all the work. The CPUs would help for commflagging and
such, but otherwise, I would save the power and keep most of the work
on the server.