[mythtv-users] artifacts in pvr-150 recordings, only recently

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Mar 6 06:53:04 UTC 2009

What's your source for the PVR-150?  RF directly from Comcast, or a
box?  (I've noticed that signal too low or TOO HIGH to cable boxes
can cause occasional glitchiness in what they're producing on their
outputs; in one case, I had to put an attenuator on a line to reduce
the effect.  I've also seen some channels more-affected than others,
which implies there's slope---e.g., I need more attenuation at some
frequencies than others, but that sort of filter is expensive and
depends on knowing the actual frequency allocations of the digital
streams.)  In my case, I have a variable amp and was able to tweak
it to get -almost- perfect results on all but one channel, which
still occasionally shows artifacts.

If you're going through a box (and have only one), it could be that
what changed is the condition of the line feeding you---maybe Comcast
made a change (added an amp?) or maybe something corroded.  You may
have to try adding an amp of your own & seeing if things get worse,
or adding attenuation (e.g., put a 2:1 splitter in there, stick
a terminator on one leg, and run the other leg into wherever the
signal used to get routed).

Other thing to check:  is the 150 hot?  Maybe aim a fan at it and
see if the problem goes away.