[mythtv-users] New Slave Backend

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 18:18:50 UTC 2009

I'm converting a Mythbuntu 8.10 frontend into a secondary backend/frontend
due the availability of PCI slots in my machines, and I'm running into a bit
of a problem.  I've checked the box in mythbuntu-control-centre under system
roles for "secondary backend" and it did its thing and added the
mythtv-backend package, etc., I then did the setup where I set the ip
address of the master backend, the local ip, and so on.  I setup the tuner
card (a PVR-500), and added my existing schedules direct as a source for
both tuners.  I'm sharing the same recordings directory between the two
machines, which is phyically located in the master backend (also a Mythbuntu
8.10 machine), via NFS.

The result is that now I cannot watch live tv on the slave backend/frontend,
though everything else seems to work (recordings, videos, etc.).  Prior to
installing the backend portion, I was able to watch live tv (which is
something that I rarely do, except for news, but is a habit that I cannot
brake my wife of).  Is there a special step to incorperate the tuner(s) in
my slave backend that I'm missing?  I haven't been able to find a detailed
how-to for this configuration, does anyone know of a good source?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh