[mythtv-users] Perfect frontend?

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 18:31:35 UTC 2009

> Skip the hard drive and just get a cheap USB thumb drive.  I bought them
> from newegg in a two pack and got rid of one of the noisiest things in my
> frontends.

I second that.  I have a diskless frontend (using pxe and ltsp, not a thumb
drive) in an antec nsk2480 (
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product1.php?id=MzI=) and it's just about
silent.  My dlp tv has a small fan that is actually much louder than the
case+included ps+athlon x2 with stock fan.  I say "much louder", but in
reality I can't hear either over what I'm watching even at low volume
levels.  People tend to REALLY underestimate how much noise a HD makes.

--Jack