[mythtv-users] Advice on Partitions

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:00:17 UTC 2009

> Thanks for all the help. I'll try some of this out later today.
> Fingers crossed the mysql login is the only problem.
>
> By the way, what is the point of the install setting a mysql password
> for user mythtv if the root account doesn't have one?

Good question, and one that I have wondered myself. Some guides say
you should set a root password for security reasons, but by default it
leaves it blank, I think. I think it also set to only allow
connections from localhost by default also, so maybe that is why the
root password is left blank. I think on a home network behind a
router/firewall you don't need to worry that much.  I know very little
about mysql. I just happen to have messed up my database a couple of
times and I have had messed up permissions on a couple of frontends,
so I know how to get myth working with mysql but I don't know much
beyond that. Mythbuntu backs up your database weekly by default. They
are stored in /var/backup by default I think. I went in and copied the
mythtv backup script from the /etc/cron.weekly to /etc/cron.daily.
Then I changed the file names in each script so their is a -weekly and
-daily respectively on the filenames. That way I have database backups
for the last 7 days and weekly for the last 7 weeks. It has saved me
several times. Any time I do a major upgrade or anything that may mess
with the database. I run the cron.daily script just beforehand to make
it easy to go back.