[mythtv-users] Could not connect to the master backend server

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Tue Mar 3 09:09:31 UTC 2009

Paul van der Vlis schreef op 3-3-2009 8:38:
> Jos Hoekstra schreef:
>> Paul van der Vlis schreef op 2-3-2009 21:21:
> How does the frontend find the backend? Over the information in the
> database? Or does it try localhost when upnp is not found?

Normally the first time you start it, it tries to find a backend via
upnp. If it cannot find anything you have the chance to put in your own
values. Like Paul Clark said it might be worthwile to see if your disk
isn't filled up or if a firewall is having a paranoid setting.
On the other hand, later it seems to be able to find the backend just fine.

>>> I will put the logs at the end of this message. The only error I see is:
>>> 2009-03-02 21:00:13.674 Channel(/dev/video0) Error:
>>> GetCurrentChannelNum(5): Failed to find Channel
>> Did you configure any channels?
>
> Yes, two channels for testing.
>
>> Are you using a grabber?
>
> I've tried tv_grab_nl_py what I found here:
> http://wiki.mythtv.nl/index.php/Grabbers
> I took very long and gave errors. I think it did not connect to the
> backend, but it did connect to the database.
>
> Which grabber are you using?
>
>> Did you match frequencies to channelnames?
>
> I've used "--manual", but the script did not ask me anything.
>
> Does the backend not work without the information from the grabber?

Well, the grabber finds guide-data for you, the thing you have to do
still is probably match the frequency to the guidedata.
I used mythweb for that(30+ channels), go to mythweb >> settings >> TV
 >> channel info. There you'll see your channels, in the column freqid
there should be a frequency or channelnumber provided by your signal
provider(cable?).

> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis.

Succes,