[mythtv-users] So how much VDPAU is needed to do advanced 2x 1080i? specific recordings

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Mar 2 21:06:41 UTC 2009

Looking at the vdpau wiki page, I see conflicting results.

Only one of the reports shows success with Advanced 2x on 1080i.
And the reports are not clear.  They say they tried it on both 720p
and 1080i sources, which does not help as 720p doesn't use any
deinterlacer.

One report with a 9400 onboard shows failure (that does not surprise
me, onboard chips have memory bandwidth issues.)
Another talks of occasional stuttering on a pcie g98 8400 but
does not say with what source.

Other reports give definite failure on an 8400gs for advanced 2x.
They report success for Temporal 2x.

The underlying processors are all listed as doing very low CPU,
even an ATOM, so that doesn't seem to affect things.

So...

    It seems an 8400 is good enough for up to Temporal 2x?

    What does it take to do Advanced 2x, and how much better
    does it look?

What about similar charts for opengl? I found my 7600gt
did not seem to do opengl 2x deinterlacers without
stutter.

(Note, I sent this by accident to just Jean-Yves Avenard.  His report
was that the 8600gt can do Advanced 2x but that the 8400gs and
9400gs (and probably 8500gt) can't do this, and are perhaps better
with Advanced 1x or Temporal 2x which they can do.  Further updates
are appeciated, especially on the wiki.)