[mythtv-users] On the finer points of VNC & SSH tunneling

Stackpole, Chris CStackpole at barbnet.com
Mon Mar 2 18:21:50 UTC 2009

Maybe I am missing something here, but I think the suggestions so far
are a bit overkill (except the OpenVPN; that is pretty nice).

Your post claimed that you already have SSH and VNC working. So I am
going to assume that you forwarded port 22 as your SSH port*. On the
computer you want to access your network /from/ add into
/etc/ssh/ssh_config:

Host your.dns.or.ip

  Port 22

I usually add mine right below the existing "Host *".

Then just connect through vncviewer.

vncviewer -via user at your.dns.or.ip MythTVFrontend:0

It will ask for your SSH password then your vnc password.

No need to install/configure any other program. Read up on the -via for
more information.

* I recommend forwarding something else as there are a TON of spammers
looking to scan port 22. I recommend you just do it on the firewall
side; but that is another topic.

Have fun!

~Stack~