[mythtv-users] AC3 2/5.1 channel and normal wave audio recordings all working with timestretch?

Debabrata Banerjee davatar at comcast.net
Mon Mar 2 06:54:45 UTC 2009

Does anyone have this configuration working? A code change sometime last
year broke this (patch which is apparently trying to re-encode AC3 audio
after timestretch). I either have a unique configuration or no one else is
trying to what I am doing. It would seem bizarre that no one else is doing
this on my hardware.

Setup:
F10 (same behavior as FC6 which I had run on last year)
EMU10K1 with livedrive -> toslink spdif connection to receiver.
default output alsa: default will output PCM wave audio over toslink which
the receiver plays back
passthrough output: alsa:iec958 will output AC3 audio over toslink which the
receiver will decode, 2 channel and 5.1 channel works fine.

This works fine for playing back HDTV streams with AC3 audio, as well as
normal analog tv wave audio. Timestretch used to work as the spdif
passthrough was disabled and AC3 audio was decoded to stereo before being
timestretched.

When timestretch is enabled on an AC3 source, what happens is the
"passthrough" device is disabled, and the AC3 encoder is enabled, which is
clearly wrong. I can hack around this issue by setting the default device to
alsa:iec958, which will make 2-channel AC3 work properly as the 2 channel
AC3 is decoded, timestretched, re-encoded to 2-channel AC3, and output over
toslink. OK assume other people's hardware works differently as somehow the
default audio device can also be used for spdif output??? Regardless -
switching to a AC3 5.1 file, we appear to follow the same chain, however the
output stays fixed at 2-channel AC3, which may be ok, but the audio is
clearly garbled, doesn't look like the encoder and or libsoundtouch knows
what to do with the extra channels it got. I don't see how this can work for
anyone else because it's not dependent my hardware.

I can't seem to easily fix this in the code as the parameters are stuck in
abstraction hell, the passthrough disable does different things at different
layers and it's not clear how to fix it. Also I assume the AC3 encoder would
also work properly for 5.1 channels if it got the correct stream parameters?

Thanks,
Debabrata