[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio???

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 01:31:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:55 AM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hopefully this will be a learning thread for others that run into a similar
> problem...
>
> I'm a bit confused on the link between alsa and xorg.conf. I was under the
> impression that xorg was video only?
>
> running asound -l gets me nothing, "command not found"
>
> When referring to updating alsa are we talking about CVS? I am currently
> running 120.29 Nvidia.
>
> "I am quite certain that your problem with no sound via HDMI is software
> related. There are a few threads on this on this mailing list. Try to search
> the mailing list archives."
>
> Since I was able to get sound when disabling EDID in xorg.conf wouldn't that
> prove that the sound is up to snuff?

As I understand it the nvidia driver detects via edid that the TV will
accept audio over hdmi. and then passes an empty audio stream over
hdmi.

The empty audio stream fools the TV into thinking it should get its
audio via hdmi and therefore disables the analogue audio input.

Changing the edid fools the nVidia driver into thinking the TV does
not have audio capability on hdmi and stops it injecting the blank
audio stream.

The TV then thinks "no audio stream on this hdmi input, I'll enable
analogue audio".

Profit :)