[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio???

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Sun Mar 1 21:58:35 UTC 2009

-----Nick Rout wrote: -----

>> Hi.
>>
>> I don't think you have stated what hardware you are using, at least
>not in
>> this thread.
>> That might help.
>>
>> Contrary to what seems to be a general belief, many graphics cards
>that has
>> only DVI output supports sound via a simple DVI to HDMI adapter.
>>
>> I have an MSI NX8600GT that does this. This card has an SPDIF input
>> connector on it. Does yours have this?
>>
>> My motherboard has an SPDIF output connector on it. Does yours have
>this?
>>
>> Do you have a two wire cable that can be connected between the
>SPDIF output
>> and the SPDIF input?
>>
>> My graphics card came with neither a DVI to HDMI adapter nor the
>two wire
>> cable to connect the SPDIF output and the SPDIF input. This even
>though the
>> webshop said it should. Fortunately I was able to borrow the
>missing pieces
>> from another PC to verify that it worked.
>
>I saw a card advertised on the web the other day. The ad said audio
>over hdmi would work with some adaptor cable, even though the card
>only had DVI and was relying on a DVI/HDMI adaptor. I guess this is
>your situation.
>
>I didn't realise DVI could carry audio or pass it on to HDMI. Is this
>a non standard hardware hack made up by nVidia? Wikipedia indicates
>DVI does /not/ carry audio.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

I know that DVI cables and connectors have more wires/pins than is needed
to transfer the DVI video signal, but I don't know any details about the
DVI to HDMI adapters other than that it is a pure electrical conversion
between a DVI and a HDMI connector.

I bought the DVI to HDMI adapter from a shop selling various no-name
electrics, electronics and other gadgets at low prices with the purpose of
transfering video only from my FX5500 card on my production MythTV box to
my now one year old Full HD LCD TV.

There seems to be two types of HDMI connectors/wires. One type with 19
wires and one with 29. Looking at a DVI-I connector there are 29 pins. My
guess is that there is at least a defacto standard on the wiring of the DVI
to HDMI adapters.

The SPDIF out to SPDIF in is just a two wire cable with a rectangular plug
at one end fitting into what seems to be a standardized socket on the
graphics card, and two separate sockets at the other end fitting onto the
pins of the SPDIF header on the motherboard.