[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio???

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:10:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:49 AM,  <Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I don't think you have stated what hardware you are using, at least not in
> this thread.
> That might help.
>
> Contrary to what seems to be a general belief, many graphics cards that has
> only DVI output supports sound via a simple DVI to HDMI adapter.
>
> I have an MSI NX8600GT that does this. This card has an SPDIF input
> connector on it. Does yours have this?
>
> My motherboard has an SPDIF output connector on it. Does yours have this?
>
> Do you have a two wire cable that can be connected between the SPDIF output
> and the SPDIF input?
>
> My graphics card came with neither a DVI to HDMI adapter nor the two wire
> cable to connect the SPDIF output and the SPDIF input. This even though the
> webshop said it should. Fortunately I was able to borrow the missing pieces
> from another PC to verify that it worked.

I saw a card advertised on the web the other day. The ad said audio
over hdmi would work with some adaptor cable, even though the card
only had DVI and was relying on a DVI/HDMI adaptor. I guess this is
your situation.

I didn't realise DVI could carry audio or pass it on to HDMI. Is this
a non standard hardware hack made up by nVidia? Wikipedia indicates
DVI does /not/ carry audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface