[mythtv-users] Boxee/Hulu?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 1 06:26:36 UTC 2009

On 02/28/2009 01:19 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> It's not really analogous to the Hulu issue, though, because that
> content is offered for free anyway.

Free of charge does not mean free of license...  Didn't GNU teach us
anything?

There's a license for use of the site/viewing of the content provided by
the site.  Using Boxee, which is now specifically mentioned as a
not-authorized app***, is against that license.

And, so what if the license is stupid...  As a wise man mentioned to me
on IRC, how would you feel if someone took MythTV source code and sold a
closed-source version of it (with cool new features they didn't give
back) because they thought the license terms were stupid.

Again, I stand by my earlier statement (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/372456#372456 ),
"Violating Terms of Service is /not/ what the Free in Free and Open
Source Software is all about." (Notice the lack of mention of copyright.)

Mike

***And, no, I'm sure they're not whitelisting; they are, however,
blacklisting--so it has nothing to do with needing specific approval for
using your eyeglasses.  ;)