[mythtv-users] Interfacing Zotac IONITX to Analog TV

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:16:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM, jedi<jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:19:25AM -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>> It's really a shame that Zotac didn't include at least a composite
>> video output on their ION boards.  There's room for one below the
>> power and antenna connections.  Or at least a header on the
>> motherboard to allow some sort of low-cost add-on for displaying on
>> "legacy" TVs.  There are 9400-based cards that have TV-out, so it
>> seems that it should be possible.
>>
>> As far as I know, every cable/satellite HD box has outputs for non-HD
>> TVs.  This omission, in my mind, prevents the Zotac board from getting
>> wide use as a silent frontend (for MythTV or any other media center).
>
>      I dunno. If you're really that concerned about legacy TV's I would
> imagine that the nv9400 would be overkill. A "mac mini" style system with
> an i945 should be more than adequate for the kind of content you would be
> dealing with.

My goal would be to build one small, silent, low-cost, low-power
frontend that works with any TV or monitor that you have.  Sure, the
9400 would be overkill for standard definition, but it's just fine for
high definition and then you have a single future-proof box.

Of course, to be completely general, you would have to add support for
the old channel 3/4 analog coax output... yuck.  Even my DISH VIP211
high-definition receiver has that one.

Jim